Who we are
The Trusted Service (” THE TRUSTED SERVICE “, “us”, “we” or “our”) , (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. Our website address is: https://thetrustedservice.com
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 and any replacement legislation, and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) (the Act), the data controller is The Trusted Service of 2nd Floor, College House, 17 King Edwards Road, Ruislip, London, HA4 7AE, UNITED KINGDOM
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
Personal information we collect
We collect personal information about you from a variety of sources, including:
- from you directly such as when you contact us or sign up for an account;
- from information we generate about you in the course of our relationship with you; such as data collected from cookies and other similar technologies which is described in our cookies policy; and
- from information we collect about you from other sources, including commercially available sources, such as public databases (where permitted by law).
We also may collect information about you from Service Provider registered on our site through the Quote Tool.
We may be required by law to collect certain personal information about you or as a consequence of any contractual relationship we have with you. Failure to provide this information may prevent or delay the fulfilment of our obligations to you and other regulatory bodies.
Information we collect directly from all users
The categories of information that we may collect directly from you include the following:
- Personal details e.g. name, date of birth;
- Contact details e.g. phone number, email address, postal address, billing address or mobile number;
- Account details e.g. username and password;
- Communications e.g. when you participate in message boards or forums, participate in polls or surveys, write a review or contact us with a question, comment or request;
- Job details e.g. what work you need to be carried out on a property;
- Questions e.g. When you post on Ask a Tradesman;
- Financial details e.g your bank account details, credit/debit card number.
Information we collect directly from Service Providers
The categories of information that we may collect directly from you include the following:
- ID documents e.g. drivers licence or passport;
- Your photograph;
- Proof of ability e.g. skill-based questionnaires, Gas Safe registration, plumbing qualifications, evidence of work done etc;
- Financial details eg your bank account details, credit/debit card number.
Information we collect about your use of the Services
Below are examples of the other categories of information that we may collect:
- Technical information collected from your computer or mobile device e.g. your IP address, browser type, operating system;
- Information about your usage of our Websites and Apps e.g. the pages you visit when using the Services, the search terms you enter on the Services, how often you use the Services, and the pages you access before and after accessing the Services;
- Information that we generate as a result of your use of the Services e.g. our understanding of your interests as a result of your use of the Services and whether you are a regular or occasional user of the Services;
- Recordings of calls you have with our customer service agents
Information we collect from other sources
Below are examples of the categories of information we may collect from other sources:
- Personal details e.g. name;
- Business details e.g. Trading name, legal name, directors;
- Contact details e.g. phone number, email address, postal address or mobile number;
- Details about advertising preferences e.g. products purchased, interaction with online advertisements;
- Publicly available background information e.g. bad press or reviews on other sites about Service provider applying to join TheTrustedService;
- Unsolicited complaints from third parties about Tradespeople;
- Technical information about the delivery of emails, SMS and push notifications
- Details of work being completed on your behalf by a Service Provider via the Quote Tool.
How we use your personal information and the basis on which we use it
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
Identification and authentication
We use your identification information, e.g. username and password, to verify your identity when you access and use our Services and to ensure the security of your personal information. This is so we can comply with our contractual obligations to you.
Operating our Services
We process your personal information to provide the Services you have requested. This is so we can comply with our contractual obligations to you.
Improving our Services
We analyse information about how you use our Services to provide an improved experience for the users of all our Services. We may use your data for product testing and development, site analytics, and surveys to improve our Services. It is in our legitimate interest to use the information provided to us for this purpose, so we can understand any issues with our Services and improve them.
We analyse your information to detect fraudulent activity, including but not limited to creating new accounts for banned users and posting fake feedback. It is in our legitimate business interest to use the information provided to us for this purpose, so we can keep the service safe for all of our users.
Communicating with you
We may use your personal information when we communicate with you, for example, if we are providing information about changes to our Terms & Conditions or if you contact us with questions. It is in our legitimate interest that we are able to provide you with appropriate and personalised responses and provide you with notices about our Services.
We may use your personal information to create a profile about you, place you into marketing segments in order to better understand your preferences and to personalise the marketing messages we send to you. It is in our legitimate interest to provide you with more relevant and interesting advertising messages. Where required, we will obtain your consent before sending such marketing messages.
We operate pursuant to Regulation 22(3) of the UK Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 (“PECR”) which allows us to offer an opt-out instead of an opt-in for our newsletters.
Exercising our rights
We may use your personal information to exercise our legal rights where it is necessary to do so, for example, to detect, prevent and respond to fraud claims, intellectual property infringement claims, violations of law or our Terms and Conditions.
Complying with our obligations
We may process your personal information to carry out fraud prevention checks or comply with other legal or regulatory requirements, where this is explicitly required by law.
Customising your experience
When you use our Services, we may use your personal information to improve your experience with MyBuilder, such as by providing interactive or personalised elements on our Services and providing you with content based on your interests.
We may anonymise your personal information in such a way that you may not reasonably be re-identified by us or any other company. We may use this anonymised information for any other purpose.
How and when we share your personal information
We may share your personal information with third parties under the following circumstances:
When you post a job
Your username will be shown publicly on your job page as well as to Tradespeople who may be suitable for your job. The approximate location of the job, job title, description and photos will also be displayed but these elements are usually not deemed to be personal information.
When a Service Provider is shortlisted
We will share the name and phone number of the Job Poster with the shortlisted Service provider; and the name and phone number of the shortlisted Service Provider with the Job Poster.
When you express interest in a product offered by Thetrustedservice.com
We will share personal data about you between Thetrustedservice in circumstances where you express interest in purchasing a product from Thetrustedservice.
When there is a dispute between a Job Poster and Service Provider
In the event of a dispute, we will share the Service Provider address, email address and telephone number with the Job Poster at their request. At our absolute discretion, we may share other relevant information where we are legally permitted.
Every Trade Account has a public profile page which is displayed in search results to help generate interest from potential customers. The information we display on this page includes but is not limited to: username, company name, trading name, profile picture, working area, feedback, company information, trade services, photographs and other information that you may provide us with.
Service providers and business partners
We may share your personal information with our service providers and business partners that perform marketing services and other business operations for us for the purposes set forth above. For example, we may partner with companies to process secure payments, optimise services, supply online behavioural advertising, send newsletters and marketing messages, send support emails, communicate via messaging services, and analyse information.
These service providers and business partners may include advertising agencies and fraud prevention agencies which will use your personal information only in the ways described in this policy.
Where required by law
We may share your personal information with law enforcement agencies, courts, other government authorities or other third parties where we believe necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party.
In the context of a transaction
We may share your personal information with potential transaction partners, service providers, advisors, and other third parties in connection with the consideration, negotiation, or completion of a corporate transaction in which we are acquired by or merged with another company or we sell or transfer all or a portion of our assets or business. Should such a sale or transfer occur, we will use reasonable efforts to obligate the entity to which we transfer your personal information to use it in a manner that is consistent with this Privacy Notice.
Your rights over your personal information
You have certain rights regarding the personal information we hold about you, subject to local law. These may include the rights to access, correct, delete, restrict or object to our use of, or processing of your personal data. You may request to receive a portable copy in a usable electronic format of your personal information. You also may have a right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection or privacy regulator.
We encourage you to contact us at the contact information below to update or correct your information if it changes or if the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate. Where you have provided your consent to any use of your personal information, you can withdraw this consent at any time.
Please note that we may require additional information from you in order to honour your requests. There may be situations in which we will not be able to comply with your request due to our regulatory obligations to governmental bodies.
If you would like to discuss or exercise any rights you may have under law, please contact us using the contact details provided below.
Information Security and Storage
We implement physical, technical, and organisational security measures designed to safeguard the personal information we process through our Services. These measures are aimed at providing on-going integrity and confidentiality for your personal information. We evaluate and update these measures on a regular basis. However, no information system is impenetrable, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information.
We retain your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you. When deciding how long to keep your personal information after our relationship with you has ended, we take into account our legal obligations e.g. UK tax legislation requires us to hold information for a minimum of 6 years. We may also retain records to investigate or defend against potential legal claims. We will also retain information on all Tradespeople to help us prevent fraudulent activity e.g. trying to open multiple accounts.
International Data Transfer
Your personal information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in a country that is not regarded as providing the same level of protection for personal information as the laws of your home country, and may be available to the government of those countries under a lawful order made in those countries.
We have put in place appropriate safeguards (such as contractual commitments) in accordance with applicable legal requirements to provide adequate protection for your personal information. For more information on the appropriate safeguards in place and to obtain a copy of such safeguards, please contact us using the contact information below.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Right to rectify mistakes
Information given to us can be checked and updated at anytime from within your account. The information we hold about you can be requested by contacting us directly. We reserve the right to request proof of ID before disclosing personal information that has been requested.
Prevention of Processing
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by amending your accounts settings once you have registered with our site. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at https://www.thetrustedservice.com/contact-us.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act.
Object or restrict processing
Requests relating to objections or restrictions to processing of your personal information should be directed to us via the contact form on our website. If you have an objection to processing for the purposes of direct marketing you can modify your preferences within your account or by contacting us and your request will be processed with the minimum of delay.
Retention period of personal information
We will hold your personal information whilst we continuing to provide services to you and following the termination of our contractual relationship for any period we are required to do so by any applicable legislation. Additionally, we will continue to hold such of your personal information as is necessary and proportionate to fulfil our legitimate interests.